Hurricane Irene: Helpless in Paradise

I should have known when they told me I was going to Hawaii for work to expect the unexpected, I mean really, Hawaii...for work?  Little did I know my loves would have to encounter three natural hazards during my absence.

It all started last Tuesday when, after 14 hours of travel time, I arrived in Honolulu.  I sent the hubby a text as soon as I landed telling him I was safely on the ground and I would call when I got to the terminal.  Our conversation went something like this...

"Well, did you see my text, we had an earthquake!"

"What?!?" I shouted, "An earthquake!"  In a bit of disbelief, amazement and shock, I quickly looked around and realized I was indeed shouting.  My first thought, "I need to call Mom, she's going to be a nervous wreck."

"No need, I just talked to her.  Told her you landed.  And, we're getting a hurricane this weekend."

Thankfully, the boy slept through the hurricane so no worries there.

I didn't know what to think...but I did know that I owed Ro BIG TIME! Not only was I leaving for 13 days...I was mid flight during an earthquake and now there was "a hurricane a comin!"

Work proceeded as normal for a few days however, as we approached the weekend, it was clear that they were expecting the worst for the east coast.  The "R's" went searching for flashlights, another propane tank, milk, bread, water, etc.  No flashlights to be found in NJ...(and yes, now I know what to buy for an emergency kit...in fact, now I know why you need an emergency kit!)

I talked to Ro yesterday around 3:00 PM (Hawaii time) and we agreed that, should the power go out, we would communicate via text periodically throughout the night so I would know they were okay.  Don't ya know, power went out about 3:30...and, as I was lounging out by the pool perusing Facebook (remember, it was Saturday = my day off), I discovered that not only were we expecting Hurricane Irene, and potential flooding, now they were calling for tornados.  So, in an effort to save battery life on his phone, I sent him a text letting him know they were now expecting tornado's and suggested they move to a safe part of the house (inside walls, no windows.)  He texted back saying that he was sleeping outside of Roland's room and would text me in the morning.

At this point, there was nothing more I could do.  I did decide that there was something inappropriate about me lounging by the pool while my guys were trying to stay safe from the storm, so I packed up my bag and headed back to the room to watch the coverage on CNN.  This is the second time as a mother that I felt an extreme sense of helplessness (another blog post to follow on the first situation).  There was nothing I could do.  I simply had to trust that Ro had it all under control, and put my faith in God that he would protect them and he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment