Picky Eater? Perhaps Not.

 2011-11-06

Until today, I was thoroughly confused as to how Roland could be a good eater throughout the day, and yet such a picky eater at dinner time.  Dinner time is not pleasant.  At all.  At least, not pleasant 80% of the time.   And thus, I often wonder if we're putting our kiddo to bed hungry...


He loves a wide variety of food including avocados, greek yogurt (referred to as "Yo-Yo"), salmon patties and asparagus (yeah, I know...not the typical foods you would think a 1.5 year old would like). We sat down for dinner tonight hopeful that the left over beef braciole would be a hit, but were not surprised when he pushed it away and said "Noooooo".  

As I was preparing his lunch/snacks for tomorrow, I calculated the calories in his favorite daily sandwich - the PB&J.  340 calories between 1tbsp of jelly, 2tbsp of peanut butter and the bread!  I started to wonder how many calories he consumes throughout the day.   By the time we reach 4:00 PM, he consumes nearly 1100 calories!  I did some research on the internet at found out that he should be consuming 1000 calories in a day. (Dietary Guidelines for Americans, Appendix 6) Perhaps he's just not hungry for dinner, and we were interpreting his lack of hunger as a picky 1.5 year old! 

That makes sense.  The fact that he eats a wide variety of foods throughout the day and doesn't appear to be interested at dinner supports my new found hypothesis.  It could also explain why Roland gets up so early in the morning (5:30 am after a 7:30 pm bedtime); it could be that he's hungry! I plan to test my hypothesis throughout the week and will report back next Sunday to see if my new theory holds. 

(I am by no means a calorie counter (in fact, if asked today, couldn't even tell you how many calories I should be consuming); I do know how important it is for Roland to get the proper nutrition so that he can grow mentally and physically.)

 

5 comments:

Jennifer November 6, 2011 at 10:22 PM  

my son is the same way. he eats a lot throughout the day, come dinner time he has no interest. So I just make sure he eats a little bit of everything throughout the day. some days he'll actually sit and eat dinner with us.

new follower. found you on bloggy moms :)
http://myadventuresthroughmommyhood.blogspot.com/

Frugal in WV November 7, 2011 at 10:21 AM  

My two year old is a big eater during the day and hit or miss at dinner. I try to limit his snacks, which seems to help a lot with him actually eating meals. New follower from bloggy moms, have a great week! You can find me at
http://wvfrugal-wvsaver.blogspot.com/
Stop by when you get the chance :)

Bumber's Bumblings November 7, 2011 at 2:54 PM  

SAME thing with my son! He maybe will eat a yogurt at dinner, especially the days he's at daycare, because they have more snacks then I normally give him at home!

Tessa November 7, 2011 at 6:22 PM  

Thanks for commenting, ladies! Now I have proof to show to the hubby that we are not alone :)

@ Jennifer - Followed you back :) Cute blog!!

@ Frugal - Followed you too - your food analysis looks great!

@ Amber - Thanks for stopping by!! I'm anxious to see how this week goes!

Mommy With Selective Memory November 19, 2011 at 4:53 PM  

This is so insightful! My husband is always getting irritated that my son won't eat more for dinner. I always tell him that maybe he's an "early loader" but your explanation makes much more sense. And thanks so much for the wonderful award!! You are so nice and I'm thrilled to receive it!!

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP