New Year's Resolutions: Less is More

 2012-01-03

I've realized that when it comes to New Year's Resolutions, perhaps less is more.  


Last year, prior to starting 'The Diary of a Working Mother', I started a blog titled 'Expanding My Bubble, Expanding Yours' and one of my posts detailed my New Year's Resolutions for 2011.  


Did you go to the link? Did you read the post? I know...I'm exhausted, too! 


What I didn't realize last year, was that by having SO MANY goals, I basically set myself up for failure right from the beginning.  I had SO MANY goals in SO MANY different areas.  When I had even a thought of the chance of some free time, I found myself assessing my list and making sure I was doing something that was aligning to my goals.  Absolutely. Exhausting. And that's how 2011 ended up being...absolutely exhausting! 


Of the 10 goals I identified (not including sub-goals), I was able to complete one...to work on my book and 'The Diary of a Working Mother' by delivering a seminar at the Society of Women Engineers Conference in Chicago in October.  Yay! 


My biggest achievements came from items I did not plan: 

  • I decided to sign up for the Walt Disney World Half Marathon and not being able to run even a quarter mile, trained up to 6 miles! Unfortunately, the pregnancy did a number on my core muscles, so I had to slow down and delay the half due to a muscle strain on my abs.  But, I do plan to continue to work towards completing that goal!  The endorphins released from running are amazing.  Week by week, I could see my accomplishments and was so proud! Additionally, the time spent running was my time...time I could use to meditate, clear my mind and de-stress.  It was fantastic! 
  • From the work aspect, I was able to lead a team to execute a successful technology demonstration in just under 3 months.  A huge accomplishment!  
So for this year, I'm adopting the 'Less is More' theme: 
  • Continue to work on my book/blog
  • Read as much as I realistically can - if I can shoot for 6 books this year, that's great
  • Complete one sewing project and one knitting project (I seriously have 20 started!) 
And that's it.  The one thing that stayed true from last year is the following: 

Quote from Lewis Carroll's 'Alice in Wonderland':
     Alice: Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here? 
     Cheshire Cat: That depends a good deal on where you want to get to.
     Alice: I don't much care where.  
     Cheshire Cat: Then it doesn't much matter which way you go. 

You need a goal...something to shoot for, something to guide you along your journey.  Goals and objectives give you a clear path - you may achieve your objectives or you may not, but you will surely learn a lot about yourself along the way.  And boy did I learn a lot about myself in 2011!! 

"It's the journey, not the destination..." 



Happy 2012 Ladies! 

3 comments:

MiaB January 4, 2012 at 11:46 AM  

Hello, your blog is lovely :) following you from the hop through GFC, twitter, & FB :)

~MiaB
www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

Lady Goo Goo Gaga January 4, 2012 at 9:16 PM  

Very impressed by the running!!!!
Great quote from Alice.....

Tessa January 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM  

Thanks Ladies! Following you back!!

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP